Search This Blog

Monday, April 2, 2012

In case you missed it on facebook...

We are indeed having a boy...

This is bringing about some mixed emotions.
Don't get me wrong - I stand firmly in the camp of "any baby is a blessing".
I was just SO SURE I was pregnant with a girl.

Funny the way things work... the first time I was pregnant all I wanted was a boy.
When they said "It's a Girl", I was in shock and made them check again.
(We have two picture's of The Speck's man-parts because I reacted similarly this time)

Ella is thrilled...

She told me this afternoon (we'll nearly squealed at me) that she was SO EXCITED to help me out with her baby brother.  This is much better than how I reacted when asked if I wanted my mom to have a boy or girl.  I was nearly 4 (or barely 4) and replied that if my mom had a boy, I would "throw him out into the street on his head and let a big-rig truck run over him."  I'm pretty sure that is a direct quote.

She had a boy:
I like him much better than I thought I would...
though the years he was in middle and high school I'm pretty sure I didn't like him much.
I adore him now...

Some of my sadness is that we came up with an adorable girl's name that we love (not going to share that publicly).  It was a nod to two females that have had/still have great meaning in our lives.

Anyway, to keep myself positive about adjusting to the opposite sex, I'm telling myself that Ella and The Speck will now be so incredibly special just the way I was to my granddad.
You see, my aunt had two boys herself and then my mom had me.
Then, my aunt married my uncle and became the mama of FOUR BOYS.
Then, my mom had Warren.
 
My granddad (who we called Dad, but that seems to confuse people) would always pull me aside, telling me he had a secret that I couldn't tell anyone else.  Then, he'd tell me that I was his FAVORITE granddaughter.
I'd laugh and remind him that I was his ONLY granddaughter... but it never cheapened how much I meant to him.
Rocking Ella the other night, I realized that if this baby ended up being a boy, then she would be and would remain my favorite daughter... and that The Speck would be my favorite son.
If this baby was a girl, that distinction wouldn't be allowed or maybe even possible.
 
So I'm thanking Heaven for little boys... with all their snips and snails and puppy dog tails
(J.J. did guess that I was having a puppy...)

So, you must be wondering, "if they dyed an egg blue... did they dye an egg pink just in case?"
We did!

Actually, we dyed three egg pink (It's - A - Girl) and three eggs blue (It's - A - Boy),
but Maggie was left unattended in the house (while the blue "Boy" egg was getting dyed) and managed to snag the blue "It's" and blue "A" and eat them both (including most of the shell... 
her gas was already bad - now, you can just imagine).
So, the green eggs got dyed late last night.

We have had three pink eggs.

I had an egg salad sandwich for lunch today...
I'll eat the third one another day...

2 comments:

Joanne Barden said...

How very clever and well written. I enjoyed reading this so much...and could actually feel some of your emotions.

I, in particular, expected our first child would be a boy..(but God had other plans). Our two children (both girls) were born in the days prior to ultra sounds so we were in the dark until the day of delivery. When I heard the words "you have a beautiful baby girl" my heart sank but all of that changed when they placed her in my arms. Healthy babies are all we can hope for and our lives have been greatly enriched and blessed by our "two favorite daughters"

I rejoice with you and thank you for sharing your inner most feelings.

Fondly,
Joanne

Evelyn Louise said...

Beautiful encouragement, Joanne!
Thank you...

Is it wrong to say that I feel blessed to live in the day where I have a choice to know or not know prior to delivery day?