Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Already broken my resolution to post...

Oh well...such is life, eh? I planned on posting Friday, but with a sick little one I just didn't get to it. Baby sickness stinks. Let me tell you! And we have been extremely fortunate where this is concerned. We went Ella's entire first year without a major illness for any of us. Granted, for the first two months of her life we had some tenuous moments with the feeding stuff. She'd gorge herself and throw up, but we all thought there was more to it. It took about 4 weeks to work it all out, but once we did we never looked back. As soon as she turned one, she got strep throat. Then an ear infection...then another. We're currently preventing #4. Thursday (1/21) we went to story time at the library and then to a playdate at our friend Whitney's (Becca). All was well. We came home & I put Ella down for a nap. Twenty minutes later she was up screaming. She hates to nap in her crib during the day and always cries when she wakes up in it, but this was different. She was irate. I went to get her and she was burning up - a fever of 103. HUH?? So off to the doctor where we have every test known to man run to eliminate anything not viral. It's viral. So home we go with instructions to alternate Tylenol & Motrin every 3 hours as long as her temp is over 100. Then Friday, we're still hitting 103 at least once every 3-4 hours. So back to the pediatrician we go (their call) to be sure something worse hadn't developed in the 24 hours since Thursday's visit. The only difference? Her ears are starting to look gunky (not yet infected) and they don't want to go into infection #4 so she gets a shot of a powerful antibiotic and we get a script for more oral antibiotic. We've been fever free since Sunday morning and I'm thankful. I'm also thankful to a great mom & hubby who carried the brunt of Ella-care on Sunday. Both Jeff & I were scheduled for praise team and I didn't want to expose the tiny baby in the nursery to anything so mom came to our house to care for Ella while Jeff & I went to church. Then Sunday afternoon was Christie's bridal shower. The plan had been for Ella to go with me & mom, but after a diaper blowout during church time, Jeff decided to keep her home. Good call since he had another diaper blowout that afternoon. Yesterday we only ventured out to the library (quick visit for me to pick up a hotly sought after book) and Target for needed essentials (like wipes). Other than that we were home in sweatpants. Today, my mommy friends convinced me that being fever free for 48 hours meant it was okay for Ella to play so off to the playdate we went. It was a lot of fun and I really like my mommy friends. They are wonderful. Thursday we're going to Maymont to see the animals before the weather predicted for the weekend. Wouldn't you know it - they are calling for a FOOT of snow and Jeff had bought me tickets to The Wedding Singer musical for Christmas. Oh...my present better not be ruined. I may cry. Oh well...
Oh - and Ella has a black eye! Our world is fun. You should join us.

2 comments:

grete said...

Not looking forward to illnesses. We've been lucky as well so far.

She is adorable, even with a black eye!

Evelyn Louise said...

Thanks, Grete. I need to get a picture of her today - that bruise is DARK now. Illness stinks. It isn't fun. I do hope you stay lucky. It was nice to get through the first year with nothing major. I feel bad daily for my brother-in-law & sister-in-law (Concept of a Writers Writings) who have had a lot of sickness in their son's three little months.

Kiss that baby boy for me!