Search This Blog

Saturday, February 20, 2010

What a great weekend...and it is only Saturday night!

Just had to post that I am having a fantastic weekend.

First - I got to spend a lot of time yesterday with my friend, Bobbi Jo.  We have a good time when we're together and I always laugh a lot around her.
Then - last night was Christie's Panty Party.  It was less about embarassing her with lingerie for she & Andrew (though we certainly did and with lots of laughs) and more about getting to celebrate my really, really close friend before she gets married.  This is such a special time and I'm so excited for her.  I wanted to make her feel special last night and I think we accomplished that.  Thanks to our friends who came out to shower Christie with laughter & lingerie.

Overnight was not pretty since Ella isn't sleeping well and she & I were up battling it out between 11:30 pm and 2:30 this morning.


BUT - I woke up at 7:30 this morning next to my beautiful baby girl.  Then - I got to get ready and head out to breakfast with my friend, Melissa - who I feel like I never get to see and we used to go out at least once every weekend when she & Jay first moved here.  It was so wonderful to just sit with her and chat for a couple hours in a local coffee shop.  So needed!

Then, lunch today was a celebration of mine & my dad's birthdays.  My grandmother, great-aunt, and aunt came in town from Newport News to eat with Dad, Mom, Jeff, Ella & Me.  We had a good time and Ella got to show off a bit.  After lunch we went back to mom & dad's apartment and hung out while Ella really showed off how much fun she is to be around.  So good to have Ella spend time with her GG, EE & Aunt Carla.
Tonight, we went to Jeff's parents for dinner in a late celebration of Jeff's mom's birthday (Feb 3).  It was great since all three boys (Jeff, Jerry & Gabe) were all able to be there with no schedule conflicts.  Kristen & I were there, too, but the most fun is watching Nana and Papa interact with their two grandkids.  We were all together.

It has been a great two days and tomorrow is lining up to be fantastic too...
I actually get to go to church at United tomorrow.  I feel like it has been a lifetime since I've been there and for me it has.  The last time was January 24.  Church was snowed out the 31st & February 7 and then Jeff & I were away last weekend (Feb 14).  I can't wait to hear my dad preach.  He is my favorite minister...and it isn't just bias.  I feel that he preaches from the heart to the heart and I love that about him.  Tomorrow's theme: God as our shepherd.  So excited!
Then tomorrow night is my book club meeting.  I haven't posted about book club before...not sure why not except I just post so little...
Tomorrow night we'll be discussing the book, The Help.  It was a GREAT book that I recommend to anyone interested in a fiction story set in a all-too-real 1960's segregated Jackson, Mississippi.  I had to remind myself that Mae Mobly and Aibileen weren't real people.  Oh, little MaeMo - your nanny Aibileen loved you.  It has been a month since I read the book and I can't recall what MaeMo called Aibileen in the book, but it tugged my heart strings.  SUCH A GOOD BOOK. 

I'll have to do posts on the books I read since I have become a voracious reader.  I read the bookclub book and then find as many other books to read in the remainder of the month.  I can't stop and I love it.  I've also found that I'm currenly very drawn to stories (fiction & non-fiction) set during the 60s that focus on segregation and integration.  I find it fascinating...okay - that is another post too.

Well - that's it.  It is a great weekend and I just found the desire to share that with you.  Thanks for reading!

No comments: