Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Lovin for a year and being a PK (books)

Oh, blog, I've missed you...have you missed me?

I'm not sure what has been up with me, but I haven't had many thoughts I felt like sharing with the universe (or the 5 people who read this...see followers).  I don't know why, but I haven't found myself to be all that interesting in the last almost month.  I don't count that last post (4/29) since it was to win a book I didn't win.  Oh well...

Books....I've read some interesting ones as of late.  One of my latest faves is called 365 Nights: A Memior of Intimacy by Charla Muller.  It was WONDERFUL!  I know - a book about sleeping with your husband every day for a year?  Crazy!
It seemed to me like an impossible task so I was intrigued to read about how the author pulled off this "gift" for her husband's 40th birthday.  Ladies - you need to read this book...especially if you're a mom.  I related to Charla on many levels (even that whole calling the ex-boyfriend story), but especially how she felt about sex as a MOM.  Oh my, how life changes when a tiny one enters the story...
I will say this to you - there is not a lot of details about the actual act of her gift.  There are lots of stories with nothing to do with s-e-x.  But by the end of the book I realized that I had been failing my dear husband as a wife.  I think I'm getting good at the mom thing, but the "wife" role took a major backseat and I'm now working to fix that issue (no details, to your relief).
The gals in book club had mixed reactions.  I'll put it out there that if you're a newlywed, you probably won't glean much from it except dread for the future.  If you're not a mom yet, again - dread for the future.  But those of us who are out of that honeymoon phase of our relationship/marriage AND have at least one little one in the house, this book inspired me.  It gave me hope that I CAN be a great mom and a great wife.

If you order it from the website (click on the book name above), you can also get the Bible Study...which I wish I had done.  It would be an interesting Women's Study to do at church.  Maybe next Spring...

Next up on my list?  A book called "I Have To Be Perfect (And Other Parsonage Heresies)" by Timothy L. Sanford.  The description on the cover says, "The Preacher's Kid's Manual of the Holy Heresies You May Have Grown Up With and How to Find Your Way Back to the Truth".
If you know me, you know that I'm a preacher's kid.  I have been for 27 of my 32 years in life.  Had I been asked if I wanted to be a PK (knowing what I know now) I would probably have said no.  I haven't always enjoyed being a PK and lately it has been the worst it has ever been.  I have recently been longing to reach out to other PKs and share, support, and whine together.
I'm thinking about starting a blog about being a Preacher's Kid (still no catchy name yet) and was looking around on the web to see what was out there.  While surfing, I stumbled upon PKI, Preacher's Kid's International.  I joined and haven't checked out the whole site, but did find the above book.  So I ordered it right away.  It arrived today and I'm looking forward to digging in.
Here are the "Four Holy Heresies About the World":
1. "I Have to Be Perfect"
2. "I Can Ruin My Dad's Ministry"
3. "Other People's Needs Are More Important Than My Own"
4. "I'm Damned If I Do and Damned If I Don't"


I'm hooked already!  I'll have to post about it, but it may be on my new blog about being a PK - if I ever come up with a catchy name.  I wanted to do "The Preacher's Kid", but there is a dumb movie coming out with that name so I'm not sure now about using it...

Anyway - that is what has been floating around in my brain lately...

Ella is doing great.  She had a great play day at the park yesterday afternoon with Granny Mac, Pop, Mr. Pete Thacker, and Mrs. Joyce Thacker.  Talk about one spoiled kid...FIVE adults playing with her!  She had a blast and I'm pretty sure Daddy and Pete had as much fun (if not more than) as Ella did:


No comments: